Calgary Association of Parents and School Councils
Minutes of meeting held Wednesday November 16th 2011
AE Cross school library, 7:00pm
1) Meeting called to order at 7:07 by Co- President Leslie Newton
2) Karen Vink moved that the Minutes from the October 19th, 2011 CAPSC meeting be accepted. Motion was seconded by Cathy Young. Motion carried.
3) Co-Presidents Report (Leslie Newton):
– Discussion of succession planning
– Code of Conduct presentation
Debra Hidson Junior Achievement of Southern Alberta
Presented briefly on their role in schools and asked for parent and school support
Jawad Durrani Canadian Parents for French (Calgary chapter)
Presented briefly on their role in the community and asked for parent volunteers, highlighting the new training structure in city quadrants
5) Guest Speaker:
Dr. Sharon Friesen
Dr. Sharon Friesen presented on the history behind the development of schools and how that model is evolving to meet 21st C learning needs.
6) Trustee Liaison Report:
Trustees Pat Cochrane and Joy Bowen-Eyre attended on behalf of the board. CAPSC Trustee Liaison Pat Cochrane spoke to the additional education funding from the Alberta Government and encouraged members to participate in the upcoming Education Act forums and engagement opportunities.
7) Meeting adjourned at 8:57 pm